The saying goes if March comes in like a Lion it goes out like a Lamb. The NKY Homebrewers Guild has continued brewing like a Lion during the month of March. On March 16th the NKY Homebrewers Guild had their March club meeting and brew-out at the home of Dave and Josanna Dixon. Several people participated as either a brewer or participant.
The weather started out to be a bit of a problem but warmed earlier afternoon until a cold front took over around 5PM. It was a typical brew day at the Dixon household where Dave was starting early but the Guilders showed up in force around 10AM to get 4 tents set up on Dave’s Drive way. We were brewing in full force by 12 noon with 8 of the 9 brewer’s burners roaring and the smell of mashing grain flowing across the driveway and garage. The entire brew-out was streamed live on Justin TV.
During the afternoon there was the making of the NKY Homebrewers Guild Harlem Shake video. This was the brain child of Michael Roszkowski that started one night when a few of the Northern Kentucky Homebrews Guild members got together at Mike’s house (Michael Roszkowski, Jared Walen, Tim Harmeling and Dave Dixon) just to have a few beers when we starting discussing how we could pull this off as there were not many “homebrew” Harlem shakes on YouTube. We got other club members, Jon Covey and Even Rouse, to name a few, involved in the planning.[youtube_sc url=http://youtu.be/PAGJubqKRtQ]
The brew-out was capped off with the judging of some of the beers for the NKY Homebrewers Guild Strange Brew competition. At the holiday party back in December of 2012 Guilders randomly picked a special ingredient to use in a beer. Several members were in the Dixon Arms and Pub judging these beers. This was a very good close to a great brew day.
Needless to say the Northern Kentucky club continues to thrive on the enthusiasm the Guild members demonstrate each and every time they get together. The comment on brewing like a Lion in March, the week before the club meeting and brew-out there were several brewers who brewed the week before totaling over 75 gallons of beer made.
Detailed Information –
- All brews were all-grain
- 9 brewers participated
- Over 35 people stopped to see the event
- Total volume 70 Gallons
5 Gallon Brews –
- Pat Connelly (w/ Hillary Connelly) of Tin Cup Brewing made American IPA – Angel Sweat IPA. This was the first brew on automated system.
- Jared Whalen and Chris Mcgreevy of Y’allville Brewing made a Belgian Pale
- Jon Covey of Singletrack Homebrewery made a Rye Saison
- Wayne Dickens made a Marzen/Oktoberfest – Mazen Madness
10 Gallon Brews –
- Evan & Greg Rouse of The Braxton Brewing Co made a Saison (5 gallons normal yeast, 5 gallons has been soured), Ménage à Trios (normal) not sure of the sours name yet.
- Michael Roszkowski made a Saison – Bride of Evil Bunny
- Conan Crofoot of Bier Boyz Brewing made a Black IPA – Black EyePA
- Josanna Dixon of Bonehead Brewing made a Best Bitter – Bonehead under the Bike Bass
- Dave Dixon of Dave’s Dreaded Brewing made an English IPA – Dreaded EIPA
Well done Guilders…. Well done!